Nowadays, economic and ecological operation of ships cab only be achieved using electronically based control systems. This program aims to educate and train students in order to successfully perform technical operation, service, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment of ships, off-shore floating facilities and land-based harbor facilities, as well as to effectively design, construct, develop and put in service electromechanical and electrical devices and equipment. The degree is in accordance with the STCW 78/95 code requirements as amended and with the “Maritime Administration Agency” requirements.
Graduates of the program will be able to prove knowledge and understanding in the following two areas:
Fundamental Educational and Engineering, including inter alia: Calculus, Physics, Electro Technology, Electronics, Mechanics, Informatics, Materials Science, Basics of Automated Control, Economics, English Language, Environmental Control, Technical Documentation, Shipboard Safety Control and Responsibilities, etc.
Specialized Engineering, including inter alia: Power Generation Installations, Ship Electrical Main Propulsion Plants, Ship Electrical Equipment, Electrical Power Supply and Distribution Installations, Electrical Machines and Equipment, Cable Network, Power Electronics, Automation and Automated Control of Ship Power Generators, Ship Equipment and Systems, Operation-Service and Maintenance of medium/high voltage electric power generators and supply systems, Electrical Safety, Monitoring-Control-Service and Maintenance of Shipboard Information, Communication and Navigation Systems, Monitoring-Control-Service and Maintenance of Ship Lighting Installations.
Four years full-time, with the first two (2) years at New York College, Athens and the remaining two (2) years at NVNA, Varna.
Graduates can work as:
- METO [Marine Electro Technical Officers according to STCW 2010 – Manila Amendments]
- Industrial Electrical Engineers
- Industrial Power Engineers
- Electrical Design Engineers for the Shipbuilding and off-shore Construction Industries
Following an additional short term specific qualification:
- In senior management positions in maritime-related sectors such as shipping companies, shipbuilding, shipyards, logistics, transportation, classification societies, and insurance.
- High School Certificate
- A minimum of English
- Language at B2 (IELTS 6.00)
- Official Certificate for mental and physical health
- Successful Interview with Program Director